Friday, August 19, 2005

Gas Woes Just Got Worse

Since Congressfolks are not required to take Econ 101, we get this. Apparantly Congress is flummoxed by the concept of supply and demand. Next they's tackle such brain busters as "why do people need to eat?" And, "where do clouds come from." I think my favorite statement comes in the third paragraph, " Lawmakers admit there is no short-term fix to pain at the pump, but are nervous about political fall-out. " Just kind of says it all. I just hope, and this is a long-shot, that they don't put in some kind of cap, or some other useless command economy tool.

4 comments:

Muscles for Justice said...

Re: "pain at the pump," would anyone appreciate reading a rude remark about my prostate?

StalinMalone said...

The tax on a gallon of gasoline can be upwards of 70 cents. I think there is a very simple short term solution.

The Unknown Blogger said...

Except gas taxes are a combination of state and federal. Most states are too cash strapped to lose that revenue, and the feds are allready recording record deficits. While I'm all for eliminating any tax, I don't think its going to happen. Besides as taxes go, the gas tax is, at least, a use tax. On the scale of bad, use taxes are better than blanket taxes. I would rather see a reduction in blanket taxes to put more money in the pockets of Americans and keep the use taxes.

StalinMalone said...

I agree it ain't going to happen...I'm just pointing out the idiocy of our leaders claiming they are at the mercy of oil companies when it comes to the price of gasoline. I too prefer consumptions taxes...but then we are both brilliant.