Friday, February 25, 2005

Supportive???

There is a human being walking the earth with the rest of us who, when commenting on her husband's suicide said, "I wish I could have been more supportive of his decision." And she didn't just say it privately to friends, she believed that repeating this twisted sentiment to the press for all to read would not reflect ill on her. Keep in mind we aren't complicating the issue with an extreme disability or severe chronic pain. This husband was just a guy who felt that leaving a bloody corpse in the kitchen by the 12 pack of Diet Pepsi for his son and grandson to find was a better plan than facing another day of duty to his life.

I wish I could be more supportive of that too. I wish I could be more supportive of rape and white slavery. I wish I could be more supportive of people who want to cheat on their wives or steal from their employers. I wish I didn't ever have to make a stand and call wrong what it is when someone else wants it to be right. I wish I could take the easy path. I wish I could be Spanish. No, I don't. Because if I were to strip conviction and courage out of my life there would be no reason not to follow the other cowards into the kitchen with my own revolver.

1 comment:

The Unknown Blogger said...

I wish I could fly. That would be cool.