Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A five day work week, what are we...Americans?

It's bizarro world time again. The French loving, pro-union Democrats are making Congress work a five day week, (Not really, votes aren't until 6.30 pm on Monday, and the week ends on 2 pm Friday) and the American Work Ethic, shorter work weeks are for the lazy Republicans are aghast.

Personally I'm torn. In my ideal world, Congress works as little as possible because they're not meddling in every little thing. But if you make $165k+ a year, I don't want you sitting around at home enjoying a beer.

Fun selected comments.

The Democrats are trying to project a businesslike image when they take control of Congress in January. [Again, that's just weird.]

Members need to spend more time in the Capitol to pass laws and oversee federal agencies. [OK, that makes more sense. Bummer for fans of smaller government though.]

"Keeping us up here eats away at families," said Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), who typically flies home on Thursdays and returns to Washington on Tuesdays. "Marriages suffer. The Democrats could care less about families -- that's what this says." [Hold on, I'll channel my inner liberal for this one. "Right, and working three jobs to pay for food and rent allows me ample time to be with my family you pompous, no-minimum wage hiking, tax breaks for the rich favoring jackass. I work days and my husband works nights. We see each other for an hour a day, how's that help my marriage genius. Tell me how stagnant wages and a loss of high paying jobs overseas helps me be with my family? How 'bout we trade pinhead." How'd I do? Was that credible? I really felt in character.]

No comments: