Thursday, November 15, 2007

Throw It On the Pile

Just throw this story on the pile of all the others that utterly and completely disprove the notion that anyone lied us into the war in Iraq. As I've said in the past, there are actually good reasons to oppose the war in Iraq and even to dislike George Bush. But "he lied us into war" is simply stupid. Saddam not only did all he could to make us believe he had WMD, he did all he could to make the Iranians think that as well. Logic is never welcome in a fanatics world so these truths are not for the impeach-Bush-he's-a-war-criminal crowd. Its for more thoughtful people. People like you. People who read Hydrablog and never miss our biannual posts.

2 comments:

paul said...

I always thought I was more thoughtful reading hydrablog, but wasn't sure what to think until I thought about it.

The Unknown Blogger said...

Of course the issues with your line of reasoning, "Saddam said he had nuclear and biological weapons and W believed him so all's good" are as follows. One, W's excuse, "I believed an evil liar" doesn't make me feel real good about W as a leader. Two, take the inverse. If Saddam had said, "I don't have nuclear and biological weapons," according to you, that would have been enough. Three, it means our intelligence agencies aren't real good at their job. Aren't they supposed to be able to sift through lies and misinformation and give us "useful" data?

Again, even without saying, "W lied us into the war" you can get to "W had a mindset, and overvalued data that backed it up (including your fine example of believing the words of Saddam) and undervalued anything to the contrary." And that was a mistake. A huge one. I believe that W honestly believed that Saddam had WMD's, I've never said otherwise. But while I know that you honestly believe that Tiffany was the greatest musician of the the modern era, you're still wrong. Everyone knows it was Rick Astley.