Thursday, November 04, 2004

The World is Watching

Some good points Bill, I mean StalinMalone. Damn. Never mind.


Some holes though. You cannot judge the presses coverage without the context of the least press friendly administration in recent history. The White House and the RNC have released so little information and have actually run attack ads (Press releases) on journalists that that cover the race that an anomosity and mistrust built up along the way. Has there been one unscripted press conference in 4 years? Did the camapign really demand that a loyalty oath be signed before entering Bush/Cheney events?

I think its absurd to seperate the Swift boat ads from the White House. Make the argument that they were effective or even deserved but they certainly had Rove's fingerprints all over them.

I was one of the few people in NYC that wasn't despondent yesterday, largely for my McLieberman foreign policy reasons. I am a lot less happy today. I am not sure that the unknown comics predication of an ultra conservative Court is written in stone but what bothers me even more was the "Moral Values" aspect. Given that there wer eleven states with ballots stripping even civil union protection for gay couples moral values was, at best partially and at worst wholly an appeal, to bigotry.

Not going to be looked at as one of our nations finer moments. I don't mean this as a Christian bashing rant. I am not the guy who disaparges religion in the red states while sipping my merlot. I believe that by a long shot, religion is a force for good in this nation but, if Rove's method to reach born again evangelicals was to demonize homosexuals and the numbers bear out that it worked, I feel furthur away from the blue states than i have in a long time.

McLieberman




No comments: