Thursday, August 24, 2006

The day after


The FDA approved the morning after, or Plan "B" pill for over-the-counter sales if you're 18 or older.

All in all, I think its a fair compromise given all the issues. However, I don't buy the "I’m convinced adolescents are a different group, they require special analyses, sometimes special data," argument, for most other things, pesticide levels in baby food for example, they use the same data and but just adjust the ratio based on weight. Not being a scientist I can't discuss if its safe for 14 year olds, but what does make the 18 age limit acceptable is that it fits in with existing law. If you're 18 you can get an abortion, and since this is "abortion like" at least 18 fits the scale.

What is interesting is where Plan B fits in on the abortion discussion. It doesn't work if you're already pregnant, but it does prevent the normal path of pregnancy. I, myself am pro-life, but I have to admit this is a real gray area. Which is probably why its moving along. It's not ending a life, but it does prevent one from starting. If it comes down to it, I'm against it, but I have to admit it doesn't cause me nearly the angst of a "true" abortion, at the Plan B level its more philosophical.

Long-term, this should dramatically decrease the number of "true" abortions and, I think, actual births. While most moms would not abort an unplanned pregnancy, I do think a large percentage of those same moms would take the Plan B pills. Also, as the number of abortions decrease, how does this shape Roe v. Wade. If the number is small enough, and Plan B exists, it seems like it would be really hard for Planned Parenthood or NOW to make their case. Also, if the number is small enough, how much pressure will there really be to overturn Roe? Personally, I think Roe stands, if it doesn't fall before the effects of Plan B are felt. With all the issues facing the nation, I'm not convinced that the public outrage will be enough to muster the will to change it. Of course the same exact arguemtent could be made about saving it. A group gets the judges nominated to overturn it, and not enough outrage exists to fight it. In fact, down the road, I don't even think its a question Presidential hopefuls even have to answer. So if the right judges were "slipped in" Roe would surely fall, and with Plan B, most American's would say, "Hey, you have your window" and that would hit the threshold for overturning Roe.

There, a nice, circular stream of thought post. In the end, I'm now covinced Plan B will be good for folks like me who want to see the end of abortion on demand.

No comments: