Thursday, January 26, 2006

Well maybe economic conservatism ain't dead afterall

President Bush appears reluctant to bail-out Ford and GM, saying, get this, "I think it's very important for the market to function." And Michigan is in a battle-ground state!

Now, if he'd only do something about those tarriffs.

Real quick, my favorite part of the article is, "The newspaper said while neither GM nor Ford has sought a bailout, they have dropped hints they would welcome government help in areas such as coping with rising health care and pension burdens and the high costs of developing fuel-efficient vehicles." Hey, I'd like some government money to help with my business costs too. "Hey, look over here, give me money." Consider that as my not-so-sublte hint to the Feds.

But if you read between the lines, health-care is a major issue. Insurance costs are crippling most US businesses. It won't be long before some sort of major bill hits Congress to deal with this. I've even heard Trent Lott talking about how health care costs are a major concern of his constituents. My only hope is that its not in the form of more of the unbelievably lame "Tort Reform" bills. Serioulsly, I loathe those things.

1 comment:

StalinMalone said...

The worst thing that could happen would be government passing laws to "fix" health care. The problem is that we have moved the decision making away from the bill paying. Why wouldn't I seek every possible drug and treatment if I only have to pay 30 bucks of my copay? And heck, I pay $2000 a year for the coverage so I better use it whether I need it or not? Just like the rising costs of "higher education"...if I'm not paying, I won't economize.