Thursday, February 09, 2006

Score one for Bush

Having leveled enough critisims about W to bore the world, I thought I'd highlight two things I think he nailed.
One, I love his reaction to the Hamas elections. Over the few days following the election his statements were basically, "hey this is what happens in an election. The people speak, we can't be upset if they don't choose what the West wants." For example, "When you give people the vote, you give people a chance to express themselves at the polls," Mr. Bush said. "If they're unhappy with the status quo, they'll let you know." To any follower of US' exportation of democracy, this is a huge shift. In the past, if a new democracy elected someone counter to US desires, that person didn't last long, I'm looking at you Chile. It does appear that Bush genuinely cares about democracy, and his reaction to Hamas' win says more about his goals in the Middle East than he's getting credit for. I hope, with fingers crossed, that this lasts.
His follow-up is also excellent. Rather than dote on the new election, he's making it clear that Hamas must reject its "Israel must be destroyed" mantra before he will deal with them. Love that too. I view it as, "OK, you're playing with the big boys, now act like it. Give up the silliness or we can't take you seriously." I just don't think he's getting his due on this. Even in the conservative sites I've visited, this is getting no attention. Well, no more I say, no more.

No comments: