Tuesday, January 23, 2007

CO Electoral College Update

I know that H-Blog readers are riveted by CO Senate Bill 46, the Bill that would allocate CO's electoral college votes to the winner of the nationwide popular vote, if enough other state's join the fun passed the Senate along party-line votes. Again, I'm a fan of this bill. The article says that the ideas prospects in the CO House are uncertain, but I'm still optimistic.

I don't want to get off too far from the main idea, but I do want to take a minute to recognize that this bill passed along party lines. Interesting. I understand that this bill is controversial, but I don't see it as a party issue. Yes, the Electoral College/Popular vote quirk helped W, but who's to say next time it doesn't help the Dems? Maybe I'm wrong, but with something this nuanced, straight party votes tell me that at least some Senators on both sides of the aisle are making an emotional vote, not one based on their own reasoning. I'm also having a hard time coming up with any big interests who would pour money/influence into this issue. It seems nearly purely philosophical, which makes the party line thing even more...peculiar.

No comments: