Thursday, January 18, 2007

CO prepared to side-step Electoral College

CO's Senate is preparing to vote on a bill that would enter the state into an agreement with other states to give all of their respective Electoral College votes to the winner of the national popular vote (Yayyy!) while CA Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger just vetoed a similar bill (Awwww.).

The idea is backed by a group cryptically called "National Popular Vote" and they claim that they have bills sponsored in 29 states (As a quick side note, they discuss CA right up to the point where Arnie vetoes it, and they still list CA as one of the states. Maybe technically true, but I wasn't able to find anything about the the bill's sponsors looking to override the veto.)

Anyhoo, I'm for the bill. I'm not a fan of the Electoral College, I think we have more than enough technology to allow for direct voting. I also don't but the argument that the EC makes small states relevant
(no democrat campaigns in Wyoming and no Republican campaigns in Rhode Island, in fact nobody campaigns in either - Cheney doesn't count.), while the fact is that the current system makes all but a few key states irrelevant, and renders democrats in Texas and Republicans in NY completely irrelevant.

Since I doubt that I'll ever see a formal scrapping of the EC, I support this as the next best option. Hopefully if this passes with enough numbers, we'll go ahead and get rid of the thing altogether.

No comments: