Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bias, Bias, Everywhere a Bias

Perhaps this is as controversial as calling Ted Kennedy a blowhard, but could a college professor get away with this type of slander if the target were blacks? Or gays? Would he only be asked to step down as the chairman of the Department of African American Studies? Would anyone ask what he was doing in that department in the first place? Or why this person was going to teach the course in the first place? Is it news to anyone that it is the media along with activist groups that peper an organization with hard questions when it behaves in a descriminatory way? I know that hypocrocy in one case does not prove the rule, but I ask you to consider when the media gets sturred up and when it doesn't.

6 comments:

The Unknown Blogger said...

I don't know what makes a story. I'm constantly surprised by what grabs the nations attention and what the nation doesn't care about. I honestly don't think your liberal media conspiracy group does either. I think they throw everything at the wall and looks for what sticks.

I do have to say, I have no idea why this guy was the chair of religious studies. Not that he has to be christian, but he should, at a minimum, respect all religions.

Muscles for Justice said...

Mirecki didn't get away with it, and it's on the wire. What are we talking about here?

Seconds, re: "what sticks"

The Unknown Blogger said...

Also made the front page of cnn.com.

StalinMalone said...

Was he fired? If he didn't get away with it then he must have been fired. I'm sorry that I didn't see that part.

Anonymous said...

A couple of quick thoughts on our Professor friend:

What on earth is he doing as Chair of Religious Studies? Medieval cultures.....Religious studies...Hmmm! Not many willing to move into the great state of Kansas I guess. UBlo has it right!

Secondly,just as in a classic Seinfeld episode parallel, I ask myself is this really "news" worthy?

Why, coincidentally, does this Prof. report a beating just after he has to face up to consequences of his words and miscues? Hmmm....the investigation continues.

Finally, just for laughs, as Ike Turner once said, "everybody deserves a good beating every once in a while"

StalinMalone said...

Thanks for jumping in, Anon. With punctuation proficiency like that, I say we sign you up!