Thursday, December 08, 2005

God Bless John Goodman

Here's an excerpt from a NYT story on Alec Baldwin' s near-record-setting appearance as an SNL host this week:

"I wish him the best of luck," Mr. Goodman said, speaking by cellphone Wednesday night, between bites of chicken pot pie, from backstage at the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles, where he was preparing to go on as Big Daddy in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." "God bless the kid."
Mr. Goodman's streak as host ended in November 2001, and except for a cameo two years ago, he has not been back. On Wednesday, he made clear that he missed the show terribly - "For me, it was the week of the year, always" - and that it saddened him to contemplate his future as a host.
"I think my best days are over on the show," he said. "I'm too old to run around like that."
"The kids are a lot younger than I am," he added. "Chris Walken" - who has been host six times, most recently in 2003 - "he always gets the specialty material. Me, I just don't fit in anymore."

Me, I love John Goodman. Nobody for my money's been better throughout his career, and if he's sad, I'm sad for him. Who seems less like he's acting in so wide a range of material? Mundane household comedy, surreal psychodrama, and "The Big Lebowski"? Mark it zero!

No comments: