Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Lost in the Caribbean [SPOILERS]



Big movie fun, but between my theater's busted first reel and a bathroom break, I'm still a bit behind on the plot: Jack is after the key to the Dead Man's Chest to escape the curse of the Flying Dutchman, and Will is after Jack's compass to barter his and Elizabeth's freedom from the East India Company, so why at the end doesn't Jack just jump up and down on Davy Jones' heart 'til it stops beating? Won't that end the curse? Is the "bargain" Jack talks about at the end to save Will's father, the undead Bootstrap Bill?

Just writing this is more fun than I've had at the movies in years.

3 comments:

The Unknown Blogger said...

Here's what I gathered. One, everyone wants the heart because it controls the Kraken (insider alert: I wrote a paper on the Kraken for my 7th grade ELP class, so I'm somewhat of an expert). The East India Company want's to control the Kraken to control the seas, which is probably also the case for Jack, being a pirate and all, which is why he didn't just destroy it when he found it near the end of the movie. I hand't thought of the "bargaining for Bootstraps life" angle. The way I saw it, Jack was after the heart to stop the Kraken, not break the curse, or put differently, the curse is the Kraken. The "bargain" doesn't make sense, unless you assume that Jacks no killer. Either he could have destroyed the heart, freeing him of the Kraken, or commanded the Kraken to attack the Flying Dutchan. Right now, seems like a weak plot point, or an excuse for comedy when Jack realizes he's been duped and doesn't have the heart.

Rollicking good fun though.

Muscles for Justice said...

Also the year we built the robots. Mine was for miners.

Muscles for Justice said...

OK: Having the heart means you either have the Kraken or you have something with which to bargain. I still think the latter is Jack's way out of honoring his debt to Davy Jones for raising the Black Pearl.

I really need to see this movie again. I tried to make a sort of busman's holiday out of getting my brakes serviced and going down the block to see it again, but the McTeens playing theater staff this morning couldn't figure out how to focus the projector. So that's the second time in four days in two different auditoriums this bunch couldn't properly show the one movie everyone's coming out to see. This is the state of the industry in a nutshell.