Thursday, July 27, 2006

Say it ain't soil'd Floyd

Looks like Tour de France winner Floyd Landis failed his drug test. To be fair, there will be another test done on his "B" sample, but I can't remember a time where the "B" sample didn't confirm the "A." But here's hoping.

Real quick, I'm of the opinion that all cyclists dope, as do most athletes. Still loved the race this year, but his historic ride was tainted by my thoughts that the only way he could have done that is if he's on steroids. Now it looks like he was.

Better still is his mother's reaction.

Arlene Landis, his mother, said Thursday that she wouldn't blame her son if he was taking medication to treat the pain in his injured hip, but "if it's something worse than that, then he doesn't deserve to win. [italics mine]"

"I didn't talk to him since that hit the fan, but I'm keeping things even keel until I know what the facts are," she said in a phone interview from her home in Farmersville, Pa. "I know that this is a temptation to every rider but I'm not going to jump to conclusions ... It disappoints me. [italics mine]"

Now that's hard-core. You could show my mom actual video footage of me injecting steroids into my ass and she would deny it. She'd also launch into a long rant about conspiracies, how everyone does it, and a solid 15 minutes of indecipherable (except for the cuss words-those you could make out clearly) screaming. Those menonites are a hard crew.

1 comment:

Muscles for Justice said...

Too much incentive to cheat when, more often than not, you won't be caught and can't be beat.

There's less reason than ever to insist athletes also must be role models.