Friday, July 21, 2006

What Would Jesus Buy?


The Christian themed market is now more than $4 billion strong. I think its great, seriously. If you think losing a golfball helps spread the gospel then more power to you. But I do have some questions around just what a "Christian" product is. Is it like organic, where certain standards have to be met? For example, is something Christian if it's produced in athiest China? Can you just slap a bible quote on something for it to be considered Christian? Can you run a Christian product company if you're on your third marriage? What's the proper way to dispose of a Christian product? I assume tossing it in the trash doesn't show the proper respect, so what should one do, or, I guess, What Would Jesus Do?

Personally, I'm not sure merchandising Jesus is the best idea, but at least this shows that Christians are freer in the marketing of their beliefs than the Muslims. Score one for free markets.

No comments: