Monday, June 18, 2007

Whatever it Takes

This post is admittedly a bit unfair. I'm going to make the argument that I don't care a whit if some of these pedophiles had their civil rights violated during this investigation. This will of course put UBlo in the position of having to appear to defend pedophiles to support his fairly unyielding civil rights positions (something that he clearly would not be doing). I assure you, that is not my intent. And I want to say up front that I do respect to a large degree Mr. Blo's position on these matters. However, when it comes to eliminating this type of evil from the world I will continue to argue that I don't care if rules have to be bent to speed up the process of shutting down this kind of horror. It is tragic that these types of people exist and would be even more tragic if we were unable to eliminate them in the shortest time possible because we had to cross every T and dot every I.

I know that the theoretical argument is that we can have it both ways. Our law enforcement can nail the bad guys and the innocent can be uncompromised. I don't believe that. I don't believe that because people are categorically far less than perfect and the systems they create suffer the same fate. Therefore, investigations of this type of evil will always be less than precise. The price of an innocent person having their email or internet footprint compromised to save one of these children even one more hour of this type of abuse is an absolute bargain. I am grateful for our rights in this amazingly wonderful country, but I also understand that there are things much more important than my rights and I'm willing to lay them down when the circumstances call for it.

No comments: