Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Petco

The House passed a bill today that requires disaster evacuation plans to account for pets. I think this is an interesting issue. On the one hand, and ultimately, I think it's bad law. The government has a responcibility to the people, not the people and thier pets. I also have a hard time imagining the Superdome full of people and pets. What about people with allergies? Or, what about dogs fighting, getting loose, biting people, deficating, marking their territory, chasing cats, barking, howling, cats caterwaling, what about litterboxes, cat fights, and a whole lot of other issues that now have to be accounted for...or more likely not accouted for until after the next disaster and everyone realizes what a logistical nightmare this idea really is. Again, this is politicians passing laws without context, planning, or any concept of how it will actually work. Just something to say, "Hey I care about you." This is going to be law because who can vote against little boys and their dogs. I can even imagine the attack ad on whoever votes against it. Negative imaging, showing a drowning dog and crying litte girl. Music: BWOOONG. Voice-over, "Senator Blogger voted against saving pets from the ravages of disaster." That's just political death.

On the other hand, and to a much lesser extent, should the government acknowledge that people won't move to shelters if they can't take their pets and try to formulate a plan around that reality? I say "no." But it is an interesting question. I also say, again, let each state establish what they want to do in these cases. I get that "The dog was taken away from this little boy, and to watch his face was a singularly revealing and tragic experience," said Rep. Tom Lantos, a California Democrat, but, while sad, couldn't he privately donate funds to some kind of "Pet Rescue" program? Oh, that's right, why should he spend his time and money, when he can feel just as good about himself by spending mine.

As far as the GOP's Shays, "When asked to choose between abandoning their pets or their personal safety, many pet owners chose to risk their lives." OK, that's the individuals choice. I get that. I love my two dogs, and two fish, I would be absolutely heart-broken if I had to leave them in an evacuation. But that's on me to deal with.

I really, really, believe that during the next mass evacuation and emergency housing issue, this pets thing is going to make matters much, much worse. I wonder how Shays and Lantos will feel then?

That's me, the Unknown Blogger, making friends.

No comments: