Thursday, June 15, 2006

Well wobble my legs and call me shakey


Bush is creating a marine reserve, or "national park" that will be roughly the size of California and will cover a remote section of Hawaiian islands. This is a huge step, not just for W, but for the country and I'm very impressed. One thing that most biologists agree on is that to preserve the fishing industry, there must be no fishing zones. This allows fish stocks to repopulate and migrate out. In the absense of no fish zones a "tragedy of the commons" occurs where everyone just fishes until there are no more in an area. The article says that W plans to make this a complete no fishing zone. This whole area is important for our fisheries, scientists, and tourists. Personally I would prefer to see more of these. It's a great move by the president and I say "thank you."

No comments: