Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bake me a cake as fast as you can

Most of this Yahoo article is about the rats abandoning the ship, not their words, but that's how I'd feel if I were W. But I want to focus on a little throw-away section about Bakers findings and reccomendations for Iraq.

Sen. James A Baker III, a former secretary of state who has a long history of loyalty to the Bush family, has said the Iraq Study Group — which he leads with former Democratic Rep. Lee Hamilton of Indiana — will wait until after the Nov. 7 elections to present its recommendations.
I like Baker, always have. And while I understand his postition from a "help the GOP" position, I have to say that from a "what's best for the country" perspective, I disagree with his move. As I understand it, in America the people have the power. We delegate this power to a few folks to handle those affairs (not those affairs Foley, Clinton, Gingrich, etc, etc), while we concentrate on our day-to-day lives. That being the case, shouldn't We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity...sorry got caught up in the moment, Neil Diamond was playing and everything.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Since we have the power and repsonsibilty for running this nation, shouldn't we know what these options are? Shouldn't we have time to digest and debate them? Shouldn't we be able to know where our elected officials stand on these matters before we elect them? Look, I'm not saying that Bakers coming down from the mountain with the plan, but these people work for us. Can you imagine a company in crisis, where the manager says to the CEO, hire me first, then I'll tell you what I think of things? Releasing the report now isn't playing politics with it, not releasing it is.

Speacial thanks to the United Italics Foundation for their generous help with this post.

No comments: