Thursday, October 19, 2006

No Shiite, He's a Sunni?

Jeff Stein of the NYT writes an article about his admittedly "Gotcha" question to various congressfolks like Rep. Terry Everett (R-AL) vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence and Rep. Jo Ann Davis (R-VA) Chair of the House intelligence subcommittee charged with overseeing the C.I.A.’s performance in recruiting Islamic spies and analyzing information.

The question is simple, "Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?"

The answer, "Ummmm, not so much." Perhaps not unexpected, but depressing none-the-less. I'm not a big fan of this congress (and I'm not alone, unique, or special), but I do have some naive hope that the folks in charge understand the basics of what's going on. I don't know why what with Sen. Pete Sessions (R-AL) proudly proclaiming, "I don't know what the CIA has been doing, nor should I know." Ahhh, checks and balances at its finest. Also, what's going on with Alabama Politicians?

Bottom line, if it's your job to know these things you should. At least the above Reps (sans the proudly ignorant Sessions) had the honesty to admit they don't know and ask the question. I remember years ago when a group asked some Congressfolks about the travesty happening in Freedonia. Not surprisingly, some bit, but as I recall, they got angry. Oh, well progress is progres I guess.

In wrap-up, Rep. Everett says,

“Now that you’ve explained it to me,” he replied, “what occurs to me is that it makes what we’re doing over there extremely difficult, not only in Iraq but that whole area.”
Welcome to the show.

No comments: