Thursday, October 19, 2006

The new messiah

Marine General Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff says,

"He leads in a way that the good Lord tells him is best for our country,"
So God told Rumsfeld to torture innocent people? Well then, who am I, but a humble blogger to question that? However,scanning by copy of the good book, I'm having a hard time finding the part where Jesus says to torture your enemies. Must be in the next draft.

Also, I'm not sure how well good ol' Pete will be at questioning and advising Rummy, what with Rummy's direct line to God.

*Disclaimer. I'm really uncomfortable with this post. I don't like talking about religion, I think its a private matter. I also don't want to imply that Rumsfeld is not a religious person, or demean his beliefs or way of carrying himself as a Christian. But I just couldn't let this quote go for two reasons. One, Rumsfeld’s insistence on torture, which any reader of this blog knows I abhor, and two, when anyone believes that a leader takes direct orders from God, that's sketchy ground for any American, when that person is, themselves, a leader it's really, really sketchy ground.

No comments: