Thursday, October 26, 2006

Minutemen and the fence

Thought this was a solid response to a negative article from Minuteman founder Jim Gilchrist (of border watching fame, not of Revolutionary War fame - that or he's using a heckuvalot of botox). Yes, he gets a little emotional at points, but he's responding to an article called "Minutemen have a right to be idiotic," not really a neutral, fact based starter article, see my post below 'bout morons. If someone were to write an article called, "Hydrabloggers have a right to be idiotic" I may get a tad emotional too.

Anywho, I honestly don't see all the hub-bub about the Minutemen. Thankfully, I have many, many, many, and well, many better things to do in my average day than sit out in the hot sun and hope to see someone breaking the law. But from what I've gathered its mostly peaceful, with MM just calling up the border patrol and reporting what they've seen. I haven't heard of anyone tackling any suspects, throwing rocks, playing cop, netting, vigilanting (viglilanticizing?), tripping, or giving wedgies to potential illegal immigrants. The way I see it, its more like a huge neighborhood watch program, and everyone loves those guys. Yeah its boring, and yeah I'd never do it, but so what? (Ed. note: Apparently I have 16 posts with the word "immigration" in them. If your bored, but not Minuteman bored, you can search the Hydrablog for my opinions - and yes 16 posts on immigration shows that I may have a touch extra-time in my day...smarty.)

If you boil the fat out of it, these folks are mad that other people are blatantly breaking the law and are lawfully doing something about it. Is that now a crime?

To me, the much more radical (dare I say "idiotic") move is to build a huge, massively expensive, totally useless wall. Thank you W for signing just such a bill today.

No comments: