Monday, March 26, 2007

Coin v. Bill 4, The Return of the President

As long time readers (Hi Ma) know, I'm a huge fan of getting rid of the dollar bill and replacing it with a dollar coin (here and here). I mean, come on "Bill" even the word is silly, degrading and shameful. Anyway, the big hang up from the public is "convenience," but we, as taxpayers, pay about $750million a year for that convenience. Any attempt to decrease government spending and rationalizing the Nation's check book should include this obvious savings. Anyway, rant, rant, rant.

The reason for this post is that I've finally found my foil. According to this Slate article by Christopher Bonanos, I'm up against the folks at

the BEP (Bureau of Engraving and Printing); Mississippi cotton farmers, whose fibers make up the 100-percent-rag currency paper; and Crane & Company, a Massachusetts paper mill known for excellent stationery and a century-old papermaking contract with the government.
Ah-HA. But I also have allies in the pro-dollar-coin lobby called the
Coin Coalition, backed by vending-machine and car-wash interests.
"The Coin Coalition," OK, so its not the X-Men and nothing exudes savvy class and sympathy like vending machine operators and car-wash joints, but hey, these are my peeps. For those of you keeping track at home, "my peeps" now include a couple hundred thousand electrical engineers (the Libertarians), bar flies (vending machine operators) and Rose Royce. I suddenly feel like Mole Man.

Anyway, I'm using the power of this blog to bring to light (ohhhh the pain) those who stand in my way. WE WILL HAVE THE DOLLAR COIN! Go my people, go forth and cling-clank.

But seriously, just take up the bills, no one will care in two years and we'll save almost $1.5 billion every two years.

No comments: