Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hollow Apology Award Nominee

Washington Redskins RB Clinton Portis rushed (heh) to the aid of Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick who is charged with hosting dog fights at his Atlanta home. So Portis, in an interview says,

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not," Portis said. "But it's his property; it's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."
And later about a Vick conviction,
"Then I think he got cheated. ... You're putting him behind bars for no reason — over a dog fight."
It's about here where Portis' agent and the Washington Redskins lose their lunch. My bet is the conversation went something like this. "Hey dumbass, have you had one too many concussions? Do we need have your head actually examined? Do you realize that our fans loooooove dogs? Do you want little Johnny fan who loves his best friend Rover to think you like watching dogs fight to the death? How 'bout Bubba fan who hunts with his dog on Saturday's and watches the 'Skins on Sunday? There are probably more dogs in NFL households than people, and you just alienated all of their owners. You're on tape laughing over a bloody illegal sport involving man's best friend. What company do you think will now call you and ask a dog killer to push their product? You gotta fix this, and now!"*

Then Tim Hardaway called to thank him.

So then Portis released this statement through the team,
"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner"
Maybe one of the least believable apologies I've heard. Maybe he was just going for some street cred, or trying to help a buddy and it backfired. But you can decide for yourself which view he really holds, and how sincere he is with his apology.

As far as Vick, if I own the Falcons, at some point I have to question the decision making ability of my franchise QB.

*What I say about dog fighting in this post is not based on any extensive research, what I'm describing is the perception of dog fighting.

No comments: