Saturday, November 11, 2006

Andrew Sullivan wrote a book (and he'll tell you this every chance he gets)


Allow me to vent for a bit. I'm a reader of Andrew Sullivan's blog, I think his insight and ideas are interesting, and he's been on the anti-torture brigade since the beginning (which moves him up any list I have). However, he wrote a book called The Conservative Soul and its ruined him. Every since the book came out, it's dominated his site. Every third post has a huge picture of the cover, and just about every post at least mentions it. I get that its his blog, and he's free to promote his book however he sees fit, but at this point he's even less subtle about the fact that he wrote a book than Rush was back in the days when he did his TV show in front of a bookshelf loaded with copies of his book.

I used to hit his site fairly frequently, but now he's like visiting your grandpa. You like the guy, but you're afraid to talk to him because its going to be nothing but stories about him. I mean, if his site were a drinking game, and mentions of his book required a shot, you'd be blitzed by the fifth post. The weird thing is that he's English. Usually they're much more reserved about themselves. Maybe all these years in the US have rubbed off on him, "Hey, hey, look at me. LOOK AT MEEEEEEEE, I wrote a book."

Not a classy post from me, but I had to get that off my chest. He has a great site that's become unreadable, and I've decided to handle it like an eight year old. But I am giving his book a plug - hey, all publicity is good publicity.

2 comments:

Muscles for Justice said...

Mean people suck.

The Unknown Blogger said...

I know, I know. I think its just some leftover mud from the elections.