Friday, November 17, 2006

Terrorist suspects have no rights...or do they?

According to W,

Immigrants arrested in the United States may be held indefinitely on suspicion of terrorism and may not challenge their imprisonment in civilian courts
Or so the Justice Department said in a court filing on November 13.

Indefinite suspension based on a hunch. If only there were some kind of protection against that. Maybe some kind of idea that the Founding Fathers put in the Constitution to protect against Government abuse. Maybe even something older than America. Something that could stop Kings. Some kind of memo. No, no...a writ! A writ would do it.

Maybe Chris Dodd (D-CT) knows what I'm talking about?

Hey he does. Looks like Dodd will introduce a bill restoring Habeus Corpus. Looking the bill over it seems that it will undo most of the Military Commissions Act and my bet is that if passed, it will be vetoed. The question is can his bill gather enough votes to overcome a veto? There is some evidence that some Republican's held their nose and voted, or if you're Arlen Spector (R-PA) you dump your convictions and vote for a "patently unconstitutional" bill you hope "the courts will clean up." Maybe he'll find his convictions and vote for Dodd's bill. Anyway, looks like Patrick Leahy (D-VT) also has a bill out giving HC rights to suspected terrorists.

I hate it, but the Dems are getting my hopes up. Much like my Senior Prom, the night is starting out with such hope, but I have the feeling this will end in the same disastrous manner.

PS. Stalin, if you follow the treasure hunt of links, you'll find that I took one HC link from the lefties, and one from the righters. I'm all about the fairness.

3 comments:

StalinMalone said...

Yes, 3 to 1. That is the very definition of even-handed as any CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS or PBS report will attest. Just like that token black in the backseat of any Chevy commercial proves they aren't targeting their markets by race. You are safely with the in-crowd for modern ideas of fairness.

Your biases are clear. The honorable think to do is just aknowledge them and move on. Heck, even Rush can do that.

The Unknown Blogger said...

First, I don't think anyone could think I'm unbiased on this issue. I pretty much wear my bias on this issue on my sleeve, around my neck as a nifty medallion, I even have a "rights/torture bias" lip piercing. But if after all the posts you're still not sure, here it is, "I am very, very, unquestionably, undeniably, and proudly biased on this issue. While I'm not saying someone won't be able to get me to agree that I'm wrong, it will be a herculean effort." We cool? One thing you can bet is that I wouldn't carry anyones water on this. You can rest assured that what I say is what I believe.

But for the article, AP is used by all, Rush/Franken, CNN/Fox, name it, so that's a wash. Talkleft.com, well the name speaks for itself, but I also tried to introduce you to a new friend in theconservativevoice.com. I figured you would enjoy the little rant that accompanied the link. In fact, the other reports were fairly bland, I gave the rant to the right. Yet this is how you repay me?

I also note that you left out Fox on your little list of "biased" reporting. Hmmmmmm.

StalinMalone said...

Like, totally. I mean, Oh my God! At least I don't live in a world where everyone who disagrees with me is stupid. But hey, thanks for the encouragement!