Friday, February 02, 2007

Al Franken's Monster

I know, I know, easy on the Franken/Frankestein references too easy. Anyway, looks like comedian, radio host, liberal pundit Al Franken is going to run for Senate in Minnesota, ya. While we're not in the habit of announcing every candidate, he's interesting. Personally I enjoy his books, I think he's generally funny and he seems to have a decent grasp of the issues, even when I disagree with him. What will be interesting is to see him in action. It's always fun to watch an arm-chair quarterback jump into the big game. I have to admit, I'm expecting a lot from his campaign, but I think I'm going to be disappointed. Sitting back I think, "He's smart, witty, confident, and articulate," but I have a feeling that that part or Mr Franken won't show up, and that he'll be rather disappointing.

Some advice for his opponent, incumbent Senator Norm Coleman. One, just leave funny to Al. Take the "serious times demand a serious Senator, not a comedian" approach. Two, understand the Tucker Carlson Rule. Never, ever, get into a battle of barbs with a stand-up comedian. They're just too quick and have too much training dealing with hecklers. Take the hit and move on. Summarizing points one and two, there's cutting an witty for politicians and cutting and witty for professional comedians. Sen Coleman has got to understand this. If, in a debate, he goes for "hey I'm cutting and witty too" he may as well hand the keys to office to Mr Franken then and there. Make Mr Franken prove he's up to standard of your job, not that you're up to the standard of the the job Mr Franken is leaving.

4 comments:

Muscles for Justice said...

If Coleman did, that'd be one of them. Don't know from his books, but Franken's radio show was a zero comedy-wise: shrill, reductive, AND didactic.

The Unknown Blogger said...

Ohhhh sure when a liberal radio host does it it's "shrill, reductive, AND didactic" when a conservative radio host does it it's "strong and authoritative."

Look beyond the stereotypes man.

Actually, I've never heard Mr Franken's radio show, and apparantly I was in the majority. Still the last few times I've seen him on TV I've been less than impressed.

Muscles for Justice said...

Here's a funny liberal Air America fired--twice, maybe:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1722556052

StalinMalone said...

I think you've confused Al Franken with John Stewart. John Stewart is a liberal who comes across as "smart, witty, confident and articulate". John Stewart is the only thing that could save Air America. Al Franken is what Muscles said and Air America's results confirm it.