Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Politician + Moral Lapse = Rehab

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom had an affair with the wife of a "trusted aide." OK, I know what you're thinking, "So a politician had an affair, guess what the sun rose today." I agree there's no news here, it's between Mayor Newsom, the aide, and the wife. What caught my eye was this,

"Upon reflection with friends and family this weekend, I have come to the conclusion that I will be a better person without alcohol in my life,"
And that he,
"would get treatment from the Delancey Street Foundation in San Francisco"
Like Congresman Mike Foley before him, Mayor Newsom had a problem with morals, and alcohol became an excuse and rehab becomes a "safe haven" from the press and responsibility. More and more politicians are retreating to rehab after doing some dastardly deed. Rehab is a place for those with serious problems and who are serious about solving them. Rehab is not a place to rehab a reputation and garner sympathy from the public. Accepting "responsibility" for an made up problem is not really accepting responsibility.

No comments: