Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Judge steps down due to increase in Mary J peanalties

Leonard Frieling, a Lafayette municipal court judge, resigned his position because,

"I cannot in good conscience sit on the bench while being unwilling to enforce the municipal ordinances," Frieling said in a resignation letter to city officials.

"Specifically, since you have seen fit to increase the penalty for cannabis possession from a $100 fine to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail, I find that I am morally and ethically unable to sit as a judge for the city."
Good for Judge Frieling. One could suggest that Judge Frieling stay on the bench and work for change, but I respect his stance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The gesture (which was not a great personal sacrifice, this was not my "day job,") was SUCCESSFUL. With a huge outpouring of support, the City Council responded on Friday by withdrawing the proposed ordinance.
It takes a village to raise a stink.
Lenny Frieling