Tuesday, February 13, 2007

CO Abortion Update

Tough day for CO pro-lifers, and I find myself conflicted. While it may surprise most of the H-Blogs readers (that would be two out our three) I'm Pro-Life. As such, I support most laws looking to restrict abortion. Once such bill (Senate bill 143) failed today in the CO senate Judiciary Committee meeting, 4-3 (no big surprise, no way this bill was going to pass, honestly I didn't even bother researching it).

What I did like was that Senate Bill 60, which requires hospitals to inform rape victims of all their options passed unanimously (yes, including abortion). This is somewhat controversial in CO but I strongly support the bill for two reasons. One, every abortion bill contains the "rape or incest" clause, even the "restrictive" one that just failed. Two, and more importantly, abortion is, in fact, legal today. Since it is, I cannot support any measure that would hide a legal remedy from a citizen. So while I'm personally opposed to abortion I support disclosing it as an option to anyone and everyone. I don't like playing games with legal rights and issues. I'm also very against smoking, but I'm also against the advertising ban. Legal products have the right to advertise. These "soft" bans are damaging. Legal is legal. Deal with it or make a strong stand and clearly change the law.

The pharmacist issue briefly mentioned at the end of the article is another one. If you're a pharmacist and your company sells "abortion" drugs, you should have to distribute them. If you don't like it, start your own company or work for one that shares your views. This is like a sales clerk refusing to sell tobacco or alcohol. No dice. If you don't like it, don't take the job.

To summarize, I'm pro-life, but I'm against all these soft measures that create a pseudo pro-life environment. I'm an enigma.

No comments: