Monday, February 05, 2007

"Great coaches, that I know could have done this if they'd been given the opportunity.

Says Tony Dungy after he coached the Colts to victory last night in Super Bowl XLI referring to all the African-American coaches who came before him. Sums up what I love about Coach Dungy, how many people after accomplishing something like winning a Super Bowl, after having been fired by Tampa Bay and watching John Gruden win it the next year with Dungy's team (never a sour word about that - and where are the Bucs now?), taking years of abuse for not being able to win under pressure (which is why Tampa fired him, and he was taking heat for the same reasons over the last three years), standing on there, finally winning it all, and he says that lots of other coaches could have done the same thing if they had the opportunity. Just class all the way.

Dungy doesn't cuss, raise his voice or use threats to coach his team. He does craft great game plans (I disagree with Dungy, I think most coaches would have blown that game by feeling like they have to throw with Manning at QB, while Dungy settled into a running game that ate up clock and wore down the Bears D, even while Manning was clearly wanting to throw more - just great game management by Dungy), respect his players, and push them to participate in local events and charities. Coach Dungy is a man I would want my son to play for.

Quick side note, I think roman numerals should be abandoned after III, but that's just me.

No comments: