Thursday, February 01, 2007

We lost Molly Ivins

Nationally syndicated columnist Molly Ivins died yesterday, the breast cancer she had been fighting finally overcoming her. Eulogies are not my thing, but having lived in Dallas for eight years I'm very familiar with Ms. Ivins' work. She was a passionate voice of the left, and an excellent writer. While we did not agree on everything, or even much, I always thought that she was genuine in her views. I don't recall reading her work and thinking, "she manufactured that to meet a deadline," or "Wow, she really sold out there." She wasn't working for a Democratic majority, she was working for an ideal. Her bias was her beliefs, not her party. Huge difference. I can remember vicious articles about President Clinton, and certainly more than a few vicious articles about President Bush.

I'll take principled passion that I disagree with over manufactured passion I agree with every time.

I greatly respected Ms. Ivins work and I'll miss reading it. The already troubled field of journalism lost one of its best yesterday.

No comments: